Cost of living
Compared to other parts of Europe living costs in Norway are not among the cheapest
- A room at a student hostel in Ålesund in the cheapest category (15 m2): NOK 2475 per month (per 2010).
- Dinner at the student canteen: NOK 55-75
- Cinema ticket: about NOK 80
- Single bus ticket: about NOK 26 depending on distance (discounts for monthly card available)
- Cigarettes and alcohol are very expensive because of imposed taxes: A glass of beer costs from NOK 50 (for ½ litre) at the cheapest and up. However, some pubs offer special prices for students.
- Restaurants should be carefully chosen. The prices vary a great deal. Some restaurants offer menue of the day.
Most students cook their own meals at home. Student accomodations in all categories have cooking facilities available.
According to the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund, the basis for granting of loan/scholarship is an estimated total monthly expenditure of NOK 9000 (travelling expenses to/from Norway not included). If you want to travel in Norway during your stay, participate in expensive leisure activities, make purchases to bring home etc. you should, however, make sure to bring some extra money.